Agents to Query- an Organization

I haven’t popped my querying cherry quite yet. I’m a newby, still working through my edits, getting ready to jump into the shark tank. Am I ready? Sort of. I’m excited, a bit nervous and more than interested to hear back from agents. But before I can even begin to query, I have to first figure out whoΒ to query. How have you guys organized yourselves?

Right now, I have this nifty little Excel spreadsheet made up (of course, my version is filled out πŸ˜‰

What do you guys think? I have a few agencies listed in there just so you can see how I’m filling it out, but what other information should I have in there? What am I missing? If you can’t see the pic clearly, here is the info I have listed, now:

-Agency
-Website
-Agent
-Who the Agent Reps
-Why I’m Querying this Agent
-Agency’s Response Time
-Contact if I haven’t heard back?
-Submission Requirements
-Send to how many agents at agency
-Other
-Date Queried
-When I heard back and response

I’d love to hear from you query veterans and even from those of you who are in the same boat as I am. How did you prepare yourself and organize your research before you queried?

16 thoughts about "Agents to Query- an Organization"

• Your organization is commendable! I built a spreadsheet similar to yours. It’s SO helpful.

• Wow, lots of categories in that spreadsheet! It’s nice to know who the agent reps if you’ve read them, if only for reference… maybe I’ll add it to my chart.

I keep a list of agent and editors who represent fantasy (mostly epic, since that’s what I write, but I have some other in there too) in a Google Docs spreadsheet. On a jump drive I have a folder for each story I’ve finished, and in those folders I keep my pitches, query letters (one for each agent/editor), and a Word table of who I queried, what agency they work for, when I submitted, and when I was rejected/asked for a partial or full.

Looks like you’ve got it down, though, so good luck on querying!

• Jack says:

I must say, Juliana, you are organized! It looks great! What I’ve actually done with my Excel spread sheet is hook it up with my query letter so if I have to do a mail out I can lift the contact info right from the sheet! It’s pretty neat!

Love your colors!

• Kelley Lynn says:

Yup, your spreadsheet looks very similar to mine. I can’t think of anything else to add.

Good luck and keep us posted. πŸ™‚

• Sophia Chang says:

Daaaaang you’re one of thoooose. I’d love to do a spreadsheet but anything even remotely related to math frightens me (there was too much excel in Stats class in college and in i-banking, which is the ultimate math profession to me).

• Wow! That’s super organized! I hope I can remember all that stuff when it’s time for me to start querying.

• Wow – I haven’t gotten quite that far along in the process yet, although I’ve done a little bit of searching for agents and made a list of possible agents I need to research more.

I might need to steal your chart πŸ™‚

• Your spreadsheet is beautiful! I wish I could figure out how to make one πŸ™‚

• […] Jane Lebak talks about how to query your unlikeable protagonist. Juliana L. Brandt shares her organization method to track agent queries, and Lydia Sharp gives proof that book titles are important at the query […]

• Wow, that looks gorgeous, you should see mine lol. I would just add any specific querks they have to narrow the list down a bit. I get mine narrowed too much though, but you can glean so much info about preferences these days. Good luck querying!

• It might be helpful to have the agency or agent’s phone number and address. But it looks like overkill to me. If you’re like me and so many others, you will get mostly negative responses, so that’s a lot work and info that you’ll probably never need or use. But, it’s better to be prepared, I guess. Good luck.

• Cortney says:

Wowza, that looks fantastic! I wish I’d thought of being organized when I first queried, lol!! I tried a print-out version once, along with a calendar that I crossed off the dates as I waited. Not fun. Now I keep an excel spreadsheet, but mine just has who I’ve queried, the date and if they’ve rejected me or not. πŸ™‚ I think it’s a great idea to keep track of which agency that agent is from, though, because I’ve accidently queried two agents from the same agency before. Woops! Good luck, I want to know when you start querying!!! πŸ˜€

• Candy Lynn says:

I spreadsheet too, however, yours is colorful. Mine is drab. Great info you’re collecting. I don’t have anything to add. It looks great! Btw, your first sentence of the post, nearly made me spit out my coffee!

• I love this! I think I will be using it for sure:) That is okay right?

• TL Conway says:

Wow, Juliana–this is great! First, the girlie side of me MUST tell you that I like the pink color. πŸ™‚

It’s all just personal preference, but I prefer to read my spreadsheets left to right instead of up and down. So I would put the agencies in column A, then all the info, then I would list the dates or time period (weeks or months) to give a visual idea of how long it takes to hear back.

At least, that’s all the plan in my head. I haven’t dared to make a sheet of my own yet! Good luck!

• Katie says:

I love it!!! You’re so organized! We must be sisters πŸ™‚