B is for Books I’ve Kept

I don’t have an e-reader (*sigh*) and try my best to keep my physical books to a minimum. When you’ve moved every year for the past six years, you’ve got to minimize the things you have to pack. Including books, sadly. I thought it’d be interesting to take a look at the books that have survived each of the moves.

LOTR
Narnia
Harry Potter
The Old World Series by Garth Nix
The Study series by Maria V. Snyder
The Percy Jackson series by Riordan
The Forest of Hands and Teeth series by Carrie Ryan
Howl’s Movie Castle series by Diana Wynn Jones
A Wrinkle in Time series by Madeline L’Engle

(Wow, just realized those are all series!)

I also have a shelf just for Newberry Medal honor/medal books: The Giver, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, The Graveyard Book, Island of the Blue Dolphin… 🙂

I have a few random books, too, that  have followed me around. Many that I have ties from middle school but haven’t re-read and at least half of the books on my shelf are Cale’s (all of which are either history or sports related), but those listed above are the ones I doubt I could ever give up.

What books have you made sure to keep through the years?

12 thoughts about "B is for Books I’ve Kept"

• Cara says:

Cool idea for a second post!

I, to my husbands dismay, am a book keeper. Most of my bookshelves are piled on two to three deep. I just love books. I even have an e-reader, which I thought would stop the buying spree, but it still seems like my spare change is spent either on paper books or e-books now.

I love books.

Cara

• Like you I am a regular mover (hopefully staying put for a while now) but I have boxed up every last stinking one of my books every time and I’ll tell you it is soooooo hard. Not to mention my husband is an avid book collector so there is no end to our books. With that being said, you think the book, we probably have it.
    The books that have made it through the moves with you are fantastic if I do say so myself:)

• I keep too many! That’s why I just had to buy more bookshelves. (But them I do have to borrow lots from the library too. Can’t hold on to them all.)

• I have a complete set (except for Farmer Boy) of first edition Laura Ingalls Wilder. I have the whole series of Anne of Green Gables, and the first 57 Nancy Drew books, back when they all still came out in hardcover with yellow binding 🙂 I have a lot of horse books (The Black Stallion series and a lot of Marguerite Henry) and a surprising number of picture books that were mine when I was a child (they are not in great condition but I love them :))

• Jay Noel says:

Okay, I have the identical taste in books. How funny. I still keep an old copy of To Kill A Mockingbird (my all time favorite), The Chocolate War (by Cormier, my favorite author), and just about every book I’ve ever bought. Luckily, I have a ton of bookshelves in the house.

• It’s all random for me. I usually pass my books around for others to read, so what’s sitting on my shelf isn’t always a representation of my favorites. 🙂

• Joyce Sully says:

I’m a terrible book hoarder, so much so that I have to keep many of them stored outside (safely, at least!). Even so, I have a few I keep close at hand: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; The Castle Waiting (Linda Medley); Sabriel; and Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Each one reminds me so strongly of the time and place when I first read them. Revisiting them is like going back in time and makes my own life feel like a story, made both familiar and strange.

• I’m a book hoarder by nature. I just love them. I recently got an ereader from my daughters. I’m learning to love the convenience. 🙂

As for my stacks, back in November, I took 13 large bags of books to Half Price and sold them. Here are a few I refused to part with.

Outlander by Diana Gabeldon
    Ribsy by Beverly Cleary (my canvas hardcover from youth!)
    Harry Potter series
    My signed copies of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris–an absolute hoot and joy to meet!
    All copies of classics (for my girls to use while in school)
    There are a few others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Neat idea for a post. :))

• Kelley Lynn says:

I don’t have very many books. I read them and then usually give them to someone else. I very rarely read books again.

But I have reread all HP books as well as Narnia. SO I have those 🙂

• TL Conway says:

I hate to leave suggestions for more books, but does The Book Thief have a place of honor on your award winners shelf yet? It should!

• Carrie-Anne says:

I’m a bibliophile, and couldn’t imagine getting rid of a book I either bought or was given a long time ago. My so-called fiancé has tried to get me several times to sell my books on eBay because I have so many of them among all the stuff in storage in his parents’ basement, but I’ve told him, they’re my books, and I’ll decide if I keep or sell them. All my really old books, from childhood, are in storage in my parents’ house.

• Faith says:

Oh dear. I keep all my books… in fact, my post for B was about being a Bibliophile. I just can’t get rid of them!!!