The Sneakiest of Query Responses

It’s 2am and sleep is someplace where I am not. But lo! an email pops onto my phone. A query response. A rejection, I assume.

But the title of this email, this response, is different. It is not merely a reply.

Maybe…oh oh…maybe? Could it be?

Dear Juliana (hey, my name!),

Thank you for your query (uh oh). Unfortunately (need I read more?)

The sneaky, sneaky email title. So small, so hugely crushing. Who would have known? I stumbled right into its trickster trap.

I will be better prepared next time.

**I hope everyone had an absolutely wonderful Memorial Day and that you thanked a soldier, told them how absolutely grateful you are of their service. Next time you see one at the airport, buy their coffee, buy their lunch. It’s the least we can do.

***I’m looking for another beta of my completed MS. If you’re interested, shoot me an email. I can promise an in depth, completely honest critique of your work in return.

23 thoughts about "The Sneakiest of Query Responses"

• I’m not at querying phase yet and I keep telling myself that I have read enough of other people’s experiences to know what to expect, but I know when it is my turn, I will probably react the same way everyone else has blogged about. It will happen…at least that is what everyone tells me :)

Tasha, I swore I was prepared, but I think it’s just something all of us have to experience. It really does suck BUT at least it’s the same for everyone. Haha! And we’ll all be here for you when you decide to take the plunge (hey, maybe you’ll be the one who gets picked up after that first query! :)

• Well, at least you got a response, and a personal one at that. Don’t let it get you down too much. Think of it as another layer of armor. And it only takes one open door to make your dream come true. One door. Good luck!! I know you’ll find your door someday soon.

• If it makes you feel any better, I just five minutes ago got a rejection, through my agent, for a pair of mss that I had very high hopes for. Ouch! It hurts, don’t it? But at least we’re all in this together :) I wish I could volunteer to read your ms, but my plate is too full at the moment. If you still need someone in a month or so, let me know!

It does make me feel better. Thank you! Haha :) And it makes me very happy just to know you would read it. I completely understand how busy everyone is at this time of the year.

• Maybe you were dreaming. If not, oh well, welcome to the world of struggling writers.

• Misty says:

So excited that you’re out there querying! Don’t let them get you down!!!! Just keep pushing, J, and you’ll get there!

• Candy Lynn says:

I’m with ya. I sent out several weeks ago for a picture book ms. I haven’t heard a peep out of any of them. :( I am almost certain that two of them wrote me a kind rejection with the last picture book I sent out a year ago. I remember almost choked when I read the subject tag line in my gmail. I think my rejections came in quickly last year. This one seems to be taking longer. Their inboxes must be stuffed.

Best of luck!!!

• Always assume it’s a rejection. Then, someday, you’ll be pleasantly surprised. ;)

But yes, at least you heard back! I’m waiting 6+ months on some of my queries!

• Carrie-Anne says:

My least-favorite rejection simply said “No, thank you.” That seemed really rude and unprofessional for what’s supposed to be a formal business letter, even if it is declining the offer. That’s the kind of thing you say to a friend or acquaintance, not your only line in a business communication!

• Kelley Lynn says:

Yesterday I got a rejection on a partial that said ‘Thanks for sending this to me. I really did enjoy it, and I really think it’s publishable (at least what I read) but I am going to have to pass on reading more, unfortunately.’

Yay? haha

• Jess Byam says:

That IS sneaky! Those tricky tricky agents. But I have no doubt that you will find the right agent and everything will rock. :)

• Rachel Frost says:

Rejections are tough. It’s nice that they took the time to write to you personally, though… more than I can say for most of the rejections I’ve gotten.

By the way, I’d like to read/critique your book, if you’re still looking for someone… I have the whole summer off of work, so I’ve suddenly got 30 extra hours every week. ;)

Emailing you back now and, I am ridiculously jealous of your open schedule now! :)