Book Suggestions!

The month of July has worked out strangely for us. We have two vacations planned and at the end of the month, we’re moving. Things are more than a bit off kilter, to say the least. Change is good though and I’m looking forward to our new home 🙂

But, the move is not the point of this post, the point is to find a few book suggestions for the vacations. Though I usually read YA fiction, I’m really up for anything and it’d be nice to read something out of genre for a change.

What have you read lately that you couldn’t put down?

**If you haven’t checked out my last post on snail mail, go take a look. I’ll be thinking about the logistics over the next month and will hopefully have a plan come August. (I’m of the opinion it wouldn’t be a good time to start mailing when my address is due to change soon! 😉 ).

10 thoughts about "Book Suggestions!"

• If you haven’t read Across the Universe and the sequel A Million Suns by Beth Revis you must! They were my two favorite books last year. And I always suggest The Light Bearer and Lady of the Light by Donna Gillspie – it’s historical fiction dealing with the Romans/Germanic tribes. Kick-ass heroine, beautiful writing!

• Krispy says:

Well, as you know, I loved SERAPHINA and that comes out in like a week or two. I also really enjoyed SHADOWS ON THE MOON, which is a loose Cinderella retelling + revenge story set in a fairy-tale Japan. The worldbuilding is excellent, and it feels like a fantasy Japan without feeling like it’s trying too hard, if that makes sense. Oh and I just finished INSURGENT if you haven’t read that yet / liked Divergent. That was enjoyable and a page-turner!

Good luck with the move, and yay for postcards! 😀

• ChemistKen says:

I haven’t had the time to read much of anything for a while so I don’t have any recent books in mind. But I just picked up The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown in audio book format from the library yesterday. It’s been out so long I had forgotten all about the book. Have you read that one yet?

• Carrie-Anne says:

I really enjoyed Radclyffe Hall’s classic The Well of Loneliness, and am going to be buying my own copy, since I had to return it to the library before I was finished. It has a rather old-fashioned writing style, but since I’ve primarily read older books most of my life, I’m used to it and don’t see it as a bad thing (though I wish some of the events had been directly shown instead of being narrated after the face or summed up in very telly passages). From the vantage point of the 21st century, it’s hard to imagine how this was ever considered controversial or ban-worthy, since there are absolutely no sex scenes. In 1928, all it really took was positively depicting a lesbian character and calling people out on their prejudice.

I also recently checked out Sarah Miller’s The Lost Crown and Jillian Larkin’s Ingenue. The Lost Crown is told in alternating journal format, from the POVs of the four last Grand Duchesses of Russia. I’m totally not thrilled that it just had to be in first-person present tense, but hopefully I can overlook that overused narrative choice because I’m such a passionate Russophile. I was kind of disappointed with Ms. Larkin’s first book in her Flappers series, like with how it ended on a cliffhanger and came across more like Gossip Girl in period clothes (and with anachronistic language and overused Twenties slang), without a lot of historical depth, but I do love the 1920s. I’ll probably end up reading the third book in this series when it comes out later this summer.

• tanya reimer says:

You got some great suggestions here! I might steal a few. lol. My fav this year has to be Before Ever After. I love books that surprise me and this one really did. Let us know which ones were your fav!!!

• I loved Meg Medina’s The Girl Who Could Silence the Winds, a magical realist YA that came out earlier this year.

• Where are you moving to?

If you haven’t read these, I recommend Everneath by Brodi Ashton (which you may have read, don’t remember), Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (BEST BOOK), Keturah and Lord Death by I can’t remember, or the Eon series by Alison Goodman (two books).

• Jess Byam says:

I know this one has been out for a while, but I just read Melina Marchetta’s Jellicoe Road and could not get enough. So good!

• Lynn Wynn says:

I read Unwind by Neal Shusterman earlier this spring…because apparently a parent in our school district filed a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) with the district to find out if anyone was using it in classes, required reading, etc. When I was asked about it, I knew nothing. But, heck, you know that little seed that gets planted when someone says “don’t do this!”? I researched the book and it sounded pretty interesting. See http://www.storyman.com/books/unwind.html for the rundown on this YA thriller.