Give Until I Ain’t Got Nothin’ Left

There’s something about summertime that brings big life change. I know of several other good writer friends who are amidst change too and I’m wishing all of us the best of luck. The most difficult part about planning the coming months, for me, is struggling for life balance and finding the time and motivation to write.

I’m flummoxed on what piece of writing to work on (do I fully commit myself to Rupert, my MG novel, or do I begin writing Book #2 in my Water series, or do I go back and edit CD a bit more??) and as a result, I have almost completely postponed any sort of writing at all. The only good news here, is that I’ve gotten some great reading done lately– I’ll post a list of some of the books I’ve read at the end of the month.

Yes, I’m under a fair amount of stress (moving to southern TN, job searching and house searching), and yes, I’m a bit stuck in the writing department.

But in the spirit of #DirtyWriters everywhere, I’ve adopted a new anthem and I’m diving right back into writing, right back into getting the job done.

I use what I got / take what I get / give until I ain’t got nothin’ left / then I give it some more…

If you’re in the middle of life change, too, take heart! there are others right there along with you 🙂

15 thoughts about "Give Until I Ain’t Got Nothin’ Left"

• Yep. Sometimes you just have to keep working, ignoring all the worries and potential tangents and changes. You can worry after you’ve got a draft down on paper, any draft.

• Jay Noel says:

That’s a whole lotta change going on in your life, Juliana. I went through something very similar last year. And I’m still reeling from it. Job hunting and movie are two very stressful life events, but I hope you find time for yourself in all of that chaos.

Goodness Jay, I hope everything’s working out for you (and I hope all of your book deal situation has worked itself out!). Thanks for the good thoughts- time for myself in the chaos. I like that 🙂

• I have moments where everything overwhelms me and nothing gets done. In the end, I force myself to step back, take a deep breath and pick one thing to focus on. After that, everything starts to fall back into place and I stop spazzing.

Good luck w/ job and house hunting.

• Oh yes, a HUGE life change. My son is going off to college in only 5 weeks! Though I’m thrilled for him, I’m sad for me and my husband. And with one of my furry companions of the last 13+ years just scooting off to heaven, it will be particularly lonely around here. *sigh* Good luck with the writing. I know how that feels. I think the only good thing for me about my kid leaving is the opportunity it will give me to write. Hang in there!

Oh Nancy! I’m really wishing you the very best. That must be a difficult transition to go through- important for both of you, though 🙂 I’m definitely happy for you and the extra time you’ll have for your writing!

• You’re such a fighter! I know you are under a load of stress, but I also know you aren’t a quitter. You inspire me the way you are just jumping back in no matter what. The best writing can come from that. And hey, we all need a break from time to time so kudos to you for taking one:)

• I agree with Deana–it’s inspiring to read you are jumping back in! Sending good, balancing thoughts your way 🙂

• ChemistKen says:

Always remember to keep a pad of paper and pen with you at all times for when those ideas for scenes pop into your head. As long as you’re thinking about your stories, you’re still writing, regardless of everything else that’s happening around you.

Happy thoughts! Happy thoughts!

• Sophia Chang says:

As your critter (heehee I sound small and furry), I say stick with CD. That’s the one.

• Rachel Frost says:

Writing when you’re going through such drastic change is HARD. But there’s so much that can be learned from experience, and it shows just how dedicated you are to your writing. 🙂 An attitude like that will carry you far. Good luck!

• Good luck with the move! That’s always stressful and turns your brain to mush. And maybe instead of planning which one to work on for now you can just work on whatever you feel like each day? You won’t get as far on any project, but you won’t be doing nothing either 🙂