In Which The World Stops Turning

I’m going to tell you a story. And then I’m going to tell you what happens when the world stops turning.

And please, for those of you who are not dog people and will not understand this post, do not comment; It will most likely make me cry, and I will definitely delete it, and I will probably hate you forever. I will also quite possibly say something incredibly nasty to you from over here on my side of the virtual world.

Three years ago, I was in a car accident. For those of you who have been following my blog, you know this, what you don’t know is this: I fractured my pelvis in three places, broke I-don’t-know how many ribs, broke a small bone in my spine, injured internal organs, and gave myself one bad concussion, but none of that mattered, because the worst part was that my dog was in the car with me.

Pre.

Worst day of my life, in many ways. I don’t remember when people opened the passenger side door and she dashed out and across the highway. I do remember someone telling me in the hospital that she was gone and knowing, horribly, that I would hate myself forever for losing her.

Some days after the accident as my mom and Cale’s mom were driving around the location of the accident, handing out Have you seen this dog?Β posters, they decided to stop by one last house before calling it a night. Sure enough, there she was in the woods behind the house with her leash wrapped around a tree.

So she came home and she got fed steak and eventually stopped being nervous around cars and with loud noises and we healed.

But a few days ago, we learned that our other dog, our three year old puppy, has stage V lymphoma. And the world shrunk down to my living room with only my family and we stopped sleeping or eating or feeling good. Worst days of my life. I would take breaking my pelvis again over this. I would heal my baby and take whatever consequence myself.

Piglet.

And this is why I haven’t been around, why I don’t want to be on twitter or facebook or my blog, butΒ I am still here, so if you have exciting news or a funny story or read a hilarious blog post, I would love to see it, it would help brighten my mood a bit.

Anyway, bear with me guys, send prayers, I’ll be back eventually.

33 thoughts about "In Which The World Stops Turning"

• Katie Teller says:

That is sad! My family dog of seventeen years died last week, (family in Aus)and the weekend before I got married I had to make the choice to put his companion to rest. They may just be “animals” but they are part of the family.
    My husband and I have a beautiful 3yo Lab mix named “Adelaide” but we call her “Addy”. I joke about her being better behaved than my kid, but she actually is! I love her to death! I hope things get better for you, and I’m sending you all my love!!!

• *So many hugs* I know exactly how you feel, and I’ll be sending lots of good thoughts your way during this difficult time πŸ™

• Michelle says:

I’m so, so sorry to hear that. Our dog is truly a member of our family. The thought of anything happening to him is too difficult to imagine. Sending you and your family/pups tons of love and good thoughts. <3

• Krispy says:

Oh Juliana, I’m so sorry to hear about your pup. My thoughts are with you and your family. *hugs*

• Jess Byam says:

This is me hugging you so hard right now. I don’t know much about canine lymphoma, but I do know that dogs are family. You and your sweet pup are definitely in my prayers.

• tanya reimer says:

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story about how your babe means so much to you. Sending a big StBernard-slobbery hug. I feel your saddness, sweety.

• Sophia Chang says:

Oh honey, you know we’re dog people here.

I’ll share my story, not sure that it’s entirely uplifting but just to show solidarity:

Last weekend there was a gang shooting and one of the members died outside my bf’s door. It was a really traumatic weekend to wake up to so much blood all over the sidewalk and CSI doing their job.

The result is that my bf is moving as soon as he can and I’m not returning to his house in the meantime. Unfortunately, my dog lives there so I haven’t seen him in a week and probably won’t for another week until we can meet a dogpark or something. It’s painful without him.

I’m writing to focus on something that makes me feel good – hope you have that something too.

Yes, I think I commented on this story on Fb- that really is crazy. I’m glad you’ll be reunited with your dog though.

I’m watching lots of Hulu as reading/writing holds zero appeal right now, but Jess has my WIP so that works out well right now. I’m glad you’re working on your book again, that makes me happy πŸ™‚

• Rachel Frost says:

Seems like it’s kinda been a rough month for everybody. Lots of good blogging buddies have been struggling, and suddenly my problems don’t seem so big. I have never owned a dog, but kitties have always been my babies. I know how heart-breaking it can be, even at the thought of losing them, and how insensitive some people can be about pets. They are not ‘just’ anything. They are family. I leave my thoughts and prayers with you and your cute puppy. Hopefully things will start looking up soon.

• I know how you feel. It’s difficult.

• I’m so sorry, Juliana. I totally understand where you’re coming from. If you read my blog anytime last July or August, you know I went through a similar ordeal, first with one of my dogs, and then the other. And it IS an ordeal. These creatures, they burrow their way so deep inside our hearts, they become part of the very fabric of our being. They are not “like” our children. They ARE our children. We love then as much, if not more than some very close people in our lives. They give us unconditional love & acceptance and never ask for anything more than acknowledgement that they exist for us. It is no wonder our worlds are seemingly destroyed when they are taken from us. And our hearts & minds are heavy with an unbearable grief that lasts for a very long time. Nothing anyone will ever say can ever make you feel better. But understand, you’re not alone. There are many, like myself, who understand, who commiserate and feel your pain. All I can say is that your memories will get you through. Hold on tight to them. It will get better eventually. God bless. And lots of (((hugs))).

Oh Nancy. My whole heart is filled up and I am so sorry (I’ve been such a bad blog follower these past months πŸ™ ). I can’t tell you how much your words mean and that you took the time to write, even though I know it must have been sad/painful to write some of that. That is so scary to have both dogs effected like that. Thank you so much for sharing.

p.s. I have you book on my Kindle and can’t wait to read it when I’m in more of an actual reading mood πŸ™‚

• (((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))
    Goodness gracious! Pets are such huge parts of our family, I should know. We have, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 3 horses, 13 chickens, 2 ducks and 1 guniea (an ugly bird that makes a lot of noise!). When something happens to one of them, it happens to the entire household.

So, want a funny? Two weeks ago, I was babysitting my grand-puppy, Bently (a yorkie-poo). I reallllly needed to go to the library, and I had him with me. So, I stuffed him in my bag and walked in. I do it in the grocery store all the time. I got about ten steps inside when he popped his scruffy head out of my purse with a YIP! YIP! YIP! Yes, three times. :/ I don’t think I’ve run out of a building so fast as I did that day!

Hope that make ya smile. πŸ™‚

Hang in there girl. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

• Oh, Juliana! Such sadness. I know exactly how you feel. My 2 year old black lab got epilepsy that didn’t respond to medication. She had horrible cluster seizures that exhausted all of us. We tried EVERYthing – literally – and did more for her than most people thought was rational or right. But in the end, in spite of everything, at just three years and a couple months old, she died. It’s horrible to lose a dog friend ever, but especially when you’ve had to watch them suffer, and especially one so young. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope your beautiful Piglet isn’t suffering, and that maybe she’ll have a wonderful positive reaction to some medication and beat all the odds. But either way, even though probably no one can make you feel better, no that you’re not alone.

Thank you, Susanna. It really is incredible the lengths we will go to to make these guys happy. I’m so sorry about your puppy- that must have been horrible to experience πŸ™ Thank you.

• Oh, I am so sorry. I’d have felt exactly the same way if my dog had been in an accident with me. I have 3 dogs and they are all precious. The only thing you can do for your sick dog is love him unconditionally, provide whatever comfort you can, make the best decisions (for him/her) that you can. And then give yourself time to grieve afterwards, and remember that even if his life was short it was safe, happy, and full of love (more than far too many dogs ever get). I’ll be thinking of you and yours.

• Letitia says:

Oh Juliana, my heart aches to hear this news. Dogs add so much joy to our lives; parting with them is never easy. But for you to have given Piglet a place to share her joy and be happy and be loved is a beautiful thing. Our thoughts are with you and Cale.

• Jaye says:

Oh geez. Crying. I’m such a huge dog as my family person. I get this. Many, many hugs as you deal with Piglet’s illness. Hugs and more.

• Mary Ann says:

Big Bear hugs, Juliana! I’ll be thinking of you and both your buddies. Pets are family. We’ve been through our share of loss over the years and my daughter just lost her second bunny. We are incredible saps and took the plunge one more time. Now, her dog Peanut feels as if she has her own personal pet. I open the door and Peanut is the first to race out to the rabbit hutch and nuzzle that bunny nose. The bunny loves it too! ((hugs))

• Oh Juliana, I’m so sorry. Will Piglet be able to live it out or do you have to put her down? I remember all of us crying when the dog I grew up with had to be put down, finally. I think she was 16, but she’d had bad health for years because some moron electrician didn’t like her barking at him (FROM BEHIND A FENCE) so he hit her with one of her tools. Lost sight in one eye and all of her front teeth. πŸ™

I absolutely understand how a dog is part of the family–ours always have been. Best luck to you and to your puppies.

• […] *Pig is still going strong and seems to be a happy puppy. We have her on prednisone and that seems to be treating her pretty well. We hope she’ll stay with us for a long, long time still […]

• Veola says:

I read a lot of interesting content here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i
    know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates
    high quality, google friendly posts in seconds, just search in google – laranitas free content source

• Tyree says:

Finally i quit my day job, now i earn decent money
    online you should try too, just search in google – blackhand
    roulette system