W is for Wilderness

The Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness to be exact. Back in ’08 my dad took me backpacking in Montana. I honestly can’t say I’ve ever been to a more beautiful, inspiring place.

We hiked up to the old Independence mining site and climbed Monument Peak, which I’m standing on in the picture below. This area is just north of Yellowstone Park. From the top of Monument we had a clear sight line all the way to the Tetons, 120 miles South. We camped at the base of Monument beside Blue Lake. The icy water was delicious on our sore feet and knees after a day of backpacking.

I highly suggest this area to any hikers/backpackers out there.

I grew up going to Colorado to visit my grandparents which probably accounts for my undying love of the mountains and probably explains why so many of my book ideas are set in the mountains. I always say my muse likes to hang out in state parks. This trip to Montana only strengthened my mountain obsession 🙂

9 thoughts about "W is for Wilderness"

• Jay Noel says:

Great pics! So that’s you from 4 years ago. You haven’t aged at all!

• Love the pics! I’ve never been, but it’s definitely on my list. 🙂

• You didn’t mention Colorado over at Someday Stars. That’s where I am! Colorado Rocks! (hee hee)

You did the A-Z challenge, eh? I thought about it but then thought… not. Not enough time. Kudos to you though! Always nice to meet another writer.

• Shell Flower says:

That area looks amazing, especially the lake with snow at the edges. What a great trip. I feel really blessed to live in the Pacific Northwest where we have mountains and lots of waterways. Wilderness rocks!!!

Jay- you’re hilarious. The time thing will start catching up with me eventually! Haha.

Coleen- you should absolutely go! It’s worth it 🙂

Eileen- I should have! There’s a massive part of my heart lodged somewhere over in the Colorado mountains. Fist pump for the Rockies! Nice to meet you, too 😀

• Jack says:

Wow, what a treat! Nothing quite like a mountain trek in the wilderness! I LOVE your pics too! 🙂

• Sophia Chang says:

omg is your dad 10 feet tall?

• Dana says:

I love the pictures! That last one really reminds me of why I need to get out of the city. 🙂

• TL Conway says:

What an amazing experience to share with your dad. That looks like it was a wonderful time!

I like to write when secluded in nature. Give me an old cabin in the woods with some logs for the fire and an unending supply of stews and crusty breads. I’d have my book done in NO time! 🙂